Hello my dear readers! Oh, how many packs of cigarettes were smoked by smokers, whose boxes said: "The Ministry of Health warns - smoking is bad for your health! "How many smokers paid attention to this application? Maybe someone does. But did he stop smoking? Difficultly! But how to quit smoking on your own, once and for all, is a matter of many, as other methods do not help them. And can you give up? This is what will be discussed today.
How smoking affects health
70% of smokers dream of quitting this bad habit, 80% of them have tried several times, but have not been able to quit. According to statistics, more than 200, 000 people die annually from illnesses caused by smoking.
Smoking statistics say that 96-100% of smokers have lung cancer because tobacco smoke contains substances that cause mutations in the p53 gene; 75% suffer from chronic bronchitis and almost 25% suffer from heart disease. Unfortunately, mortality from this addiction is growing more and more each year. For example, before 26% of regular cigarette smokers die each year from smoking. Many of them could have extended their lives by 20 years if they had stopped smoking 5 years ago.
Which systems and organs are affected by smoking?
- Respiratory system: lung, tongue and upper respiratory tract cancer, bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive bronchitis;
- Cardiovascular system: ischemic heart disease, angina pectoris and myocardial infarction, obliterating endartaritis and atherosclerosis of the lower extremity vessels;
- Gastrointestinal tract: gastric ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer, gastritis;
- Central and peripheral nervous system: neurosis, headaches, impaired memory, neuritis, polyneuritis, radiculitis, a smoker with many years of experience becomes irritable and quarrelsome;
- Vision: visual acuity decreases, color perception changes, the probability of developing glaucoma increases;
- Hearing: hearing acuity decreases gradually due to changes in the eardrum, the mobility of auditory ossicles decreases;
- Taste: The taste diminishes and becomes distorted;
- Smell: deficient smell;
- Fertility decreases in women, men are more prone to impotence.
Dear smokers, have you ever thought about the damage that secondhand smoke does to people around you? It is especially dangerous for pregnant women. And a disease like COPD can be fatal.
The pharmaceutical industry offers many different types of plasters, chewing gums and other products. But even that won't be enough if you don't understand this problem "at the root". There are 2 types of nicotine addiction: physical and psychological.
Physical addiction is the body's need for the next dose of nicotine. Most of the time, stress, irritation, bad mood, fatigue "grab" a cigarette. The fact is that the action of nicotine causes the adrenal glands to secrete the stress hormone - adrenaline and norepinephrine. These hormones, to some extent, have a positive effect on the cardiovascular system, forcing the heart rate to increase, increasing blood pressure and improving the smoker's mood.
Psychological addiction is considered more complex. Even if you realize that you have managed to cope with physical addiction and have overcome yourself without smoking another cigarette, then, with the next stress or being in the company of the same smokers, it will be much more difficult for you to overcome the irresistible desire to smoke a cigarette.
How to quit smoking
To overcome desires, of course, you need a strong motivation and a strong desire. I will give you a comment on my article "Are pregnancy and smoking compatible? "
I will tell you from experience that you can quit smoking if you have this desire yourself, accepted and gave up, just as with alcohol, no coding or treatment will help you, only you and willpower. I tried everything, just a waste of time and money, all these different encodings and methods, this is just self-deception and yes, self-deception can also result in a result.
And I will tell you about motivation using my husband's example. He smoked a lot with me, and it happened when he smoked almost 2 packs of cigarettes a day. In the workshop where he worked, he took the stress out of working with a cigarette, in the forest while hunting or fishing he saved himself from mosquitoes with cigarette smoke. In general, I smoked before a disease like endarteritis obliterans. What kind of disease is this, I wrote about it in detail in this article. Smokers read, don't be lazy.
The main cause of this disease is smoking, and gangrene is a formidable complication. When I told my husband that if you don't quit smoking, you will have to get around the bumps in the forest with crutches. Will it be comfortable for you to walk through the forest like this? And he just can't live without a forest. This was a strong motivation for him. Stop smoking, don't smoke for a year and a half.
How to quit smoking quickly and easily? What can be done?
It is easier to overcome physical addiction. This can be overcome with the help of medicines: tinctures of valerian, motherwort or other sedatives. Aromatherapy with bergamot oil, geranium, orange and basil discourages the desire to smoke.
Psychological desires are much more difficult to overcome, but you can trick them by replacing normal cigarettes with others.
- Electronic cigarettes - they create the illusion of smoking a normal cigarette, but these cigarettes do not contain dangerous compounds: benzopyrene, ammonia, various resins and arsenic compounds. The functioning of electronic cigarettes resembles a regular inhaler, in which the cartridges change from weak to heavy in terms of the amount of nicotine content. In that case, you can gradually reduce the dose of nicotine, thereby reducing the desire for nicotine.
Acupuncture, hypnosis and coding can help you stop smoking. But you must admit that if you have a strong motivation for it, it is perfectly possible to stop smoking alone and at home. Try these methods first.
What else will help you to quit smoking?
How to stop smoking alone if there is no willpower? Of course, the example of others is important. There may be people in your environment who also want to get rid of this bad habit. So, why don't you join this noble cause? Here are some tips to help you:
- Tell your loved ones about your intention, they will surely support you in this matter.
- Abandon your cigarette companions - coffee and alcohol.
- Food on abandonment days should be light, including only plant foods.
- You can stop smoking immediately, but this is more difficult, but more effective and more accurate. To make it easier to go through this stage, you can reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke every day.
- Drink a glass of water on an empty stomach in the morning. During the day, try to drink as much water as possible, not only distracts the thoughts of smoking, but also allows you to better remove harmful substances from the body.
- Sunflower seeds or lollipops can be distracting.
- Take the ashtray, cigarettes and lighter out of sight.
- More outdoor activities, exercises, hobbies.
- Regarding the invitation to smoke, respond with a categorical refusal.
- Join a non-smoking company. Avoid situations where you have always smoked: do not go to the smoking room with colleagues, do not visit places where there are many smokers, at a bus stop get away from people with a cigarette, remove the ashtray and cigarettes from the computer.
How to quit smoking on your own - folk customs
Popular methods tested by many people will help you to get rid of nicotine addiction. Reviews of ex-smokers speak of its effectiveness.
St. John's wort tea. Place 3-4 stalks of St. John's wort in a boiling kettle and let it ferment during the day instead of the tea.
Leaves of the plant. Mix about 1 tablespoon each. chopped fresh horseradish and banana leaves. Chew the mixture 2 to 3 times a day for 5 minutes, swallow the juice and spit out the remaining leaves.
Filling cigarettes. This is an old way of adding clipped nails, crayfish shells, etc. to tobacco. Fillers must be dried, ground in a coffee grinder and added to cigarette smoke. Smoking such a mixture completely passed out the smoke for the rest of your life, as it caused severe headaches, nausea and vomiting.
Rinse before smoking. If there is an unbearable urge to smoke, rinse your mouth with a solution of baking soda or sea salt: it is necessary to dilute 1 tablespoon in a glass of water. soda or sea salt.
Lemon juice. Lemon juice can create an aversion to tobacco, whose sour taste will help to distract the idea of smoking. To do this, squeeze the juice out of a lemon and dilute it in a glass of water.
Herbal-based decoction for indoor use. Take 100 grams of dry dandelion and banana leaves, pour 1 liter of milk and cook for half an hour over low heat, then cool and strain. It should take 1 tablespoon. after the meal. This decoction will help to eliminate phlegm.
Smoking a pipe. But instead of the tobacco filling, fill the pipe with an herbal filling made of equal parts of European Clefthoof, Leopard Clavate and blueberry leaves. Smoke this pipe 2 times a day. Then, drink 2 glasses of mineral water.
It is important to be without cigarettes for a week, so it will be easier for you. And also tell. how much money you spend on buying cigarettes. The figure, I think, will impress you. That money can be spent on vacation or on the right thing.
Perhaps some of you, dear readers, have faced the same problem and have experience in how to quit smoking on your own, help smokers and share with your readers, perhaps your advice will help them.