Heavy smokers who are trying to stop their harmful nicotine addiction for the first time face an irresistible force - a strong desire for the usual occupation. A person can hold on for days and months and then he collapses, feels guilty and for a long time loses interest in trying again. Think about how to stop smoking on your own at home, without consulting a narcologist and psychotherapist and without resorting to questionable methods.
Causes of tobacco addiction
To break a habit, you need to know its nature. Addiction develops in two directions: psychological and physiological.The psychological aspect is much stronger - no one is born with a cigarette in his mouth, he arrives at this occupation later under the pressure of social and emotional situations. In 90% of cases, success in combating nicotine dependence comes after determining the factor that triggered the first puff.
Psychologists and sociologists identify the following causes of the problem:
- An example of people around you, especially parents. Children unconsciously strive to grow and imitate their elders.
- Striving to adapt to the environment. An adult can smoke if they join a smoking team. Many are addicted to nicotine in the army, in schools or in prisons.
- Systematic stress. The cigarette gives the illusion of calm and temporarily stimulates the thought process.
There are studies that show the relationship between social aspects and the acquisition of bad habits. The risk of nicotine dependence increases with strained parental relationships, divorce, in dysfunctional and single parent families. A woman gets used to nicotine faster and it is harder for her to stop smoking on her own.
Simultaneously with psychological dependence, physiological dependence develops, which does not make it easy to stop smoking. 7 seconds after inhaling tobacco smoke, nicotine enters the brain through the blood, where it acts on the nicotine-sensitive cholinergic receptor. In response, the body increases the amount of adrenaline and dopamine, the pleasure hormone. The smoker feels some relaxation and a short euphoria. In addition, mood worsens, depression develops and a new dose of nicotine is needed. Dependence develops, acquiring a ritual character: the desire to smoke is "tied" at the end of the work process, to the performance of sexual intercourse, to food, to meeting friends and other circumstances. Therefore, it is more difficult for a heavy smoker to quit than for a beginner.
Why you need to get rid of a bad habit as soon as possible
Only a deaf person has not heard that smoking is bad. However, not everyone fully understands the consequences of this habit and some are not even aware of it. This leads to insufficient motivation and you can be together for years without taking a decisive step towards combating addiction.
Here are just a few facts that explain the need to fight nicotine addiction:
- It has been found that inhaling tobacco smoke 23 times increases the risk of lung cancer in men and 13 times in women. The likelihood of developing laryngeal cancer also increases.
- Smoking is also responsible for 90% of the causes of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Smokers have a 40% higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Every year, 600, 000 people die from secondhand smoke. Among them may be relatives of the smoker.
- Tobacco smoke also increases the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). If at least one parent is susceptible to this addiction, your child may die unexpectedly in his sleep. At risk are children aged 1 to 12 months.
There are other factors that can make you think. For example, a waste of time. It takes an average of 4 minutes to smoke a cigarette. If a smoker needs a pack a day, more than an hour is lost. 40 hours run in a month and 480 hours or 20 days in a year. This is the time stolen from a family or a favorite business.
Not everyone can fight tobacco at home. This is due to the family environment and the situations that generate a strong and uncontrollable desire. In this case, a temporary move or travel will help, you can do so in the company of non-smokers. With this approach, you can play abruptly without putting off the subject in the background. The opinion that this should not be done has not been confirmed by research.
How to stop smoking alone at home
You can take medicine, apply plasters and drink infusions, but if you don't understand the causes of nicotine addiction, everything will be in vain.This is the first thing to do when starting to fight the habit at home. Then you can experiment with methods of breaking addictions forever.
Cheating on the body
Self-hypnosis usually helps to combat various types of addictions. In the case of smoking, you can try to trick the body by cutting all the cigarettes out of the pack in half and folding them back. This method is effective with more than 10 years of experience and use in one package per day. Its essence lies in deceiving the body: the smoker smokes a "whole" cigarette, but nicotine and tar are supplied in half.
Gradual launch is effective if there is a firm commitment to resolve the issue. After a month, you can reduce the amount of tobacco consumed each day. The main thing is to resist the temptation to light one cigarette after another. It is easier than quitting smoking immediately.
The method usually helps a girl or a woman and is based on the formation of a disgust reflex. Medicine recognizes aversive therapy in narcology, but the assessment of its effectiveness is ambiguous. The disadvantages include unpleasant symptoms, including nausea and vomiting.
To cause discomfort when smoking, rinse your mouth with one of the following solutions:
- infusion of thermopsia;
- water with tannin;
You can also soak the cigarettes in milk or cream, then dry them and smoke for at least a week instead of the usual ones. You will not be able to enjoy the taste, the combination of smoke and milk will cause nausea and even vomiting. These methods help many, but there are also negative reviews.
A relatively easy method is suitable for smokers regardless of gender and has a moderating effect - many cannot get rid of addiction quickly just because they periodically forget and light a cigarette before realizing what is going on. In that case, a tight elastic band around the wrist will help. As soon as the desire arises, you need to take it out and release it. The sensations are quite sensitive, but the effect is noticeable.
This technique helps even with weak will, the main thing is to show diligence and constancy. Over time, pulse sensitivity may decrease, so you can use a tighter elastic band. Likewise, you can really be distracted and not think about a cigarette.
Oxygen ingestion helps to effectively combat withdrawal syndrome, facilitates withdrawal. There are many effective exercises, here is the simplest one that is best done outdoors or on the balcony:
- Stand up straight, legs together, lower your arms.
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose and hold your breath for 5 seconds.
- Also exhale slowly through your mouth.
- Take 10 breaths and rest for one minute.
- Repeat the exercise.
If you do the exercise correctly, you may feel dizzy with excess oxygen entering the blood. This is normal. With regular exercise, the desire to smoke will weaken and then disappear completely. Starting the exercise prepares you for success.
How to quit smoking quickly with folk remedies
A person trying to fight smoking may experience discomfort, dizziness and a feeling of relaxation in their arms and legs. At the same time, irritability will increase, the development of a state of depression is possible. These violations indicate an abstinence syndrome, which folk remedies help to combat:
- Eucalyptus infusion - a tablespoon of leaves in a glass of boiling water, leave for an hour. Drink a quarter of a cup 6-7 times a day for a month.
- Oat broth - pour a tablespoon of grains with a glass of water, leave overnight. In the morning, cook on the stove for 10 minutes, then cool, drink instead of tea. According to the evaluations, with the help of a decoction, you can get rid of the habit without pain.
- Infusion of St. John's wort - one tablespoon in two glasses of water, infusion for 20 minutes. Drink with honey 5-7 times a day, the course duration is at least one month. Infusion is contraindicated in pregnant women.
You can simply mix equal amounts of blackcurrant and peppermint leaves. Pour a teaspoon of the mixture with a glass of boiling water, leave for half an hour. Drink in small sips whenever you feel the urge.
The reviews of folk remedies are not always unambiguous. For some people, herbs don't work, others face unpleasant consequences. It is necessary to consult a competent herbalist before starting treatment. Be guided by the opinion of doctors - cardiologists, narcologists, psychotherapists. They can take individual characteristics into consideration and find the best ways to deal with addiction.
How to quit smoking easily, tips from longtime smokers: 10 tips
It is good practice to adopt someone else's experience. We take advice from those who have already got rid of addiction and live freely. They can help you too.
- Don't watch TV at night, it will make you nervous. Sleep 8 hours.
- If the urge to smoke has become unbearable and you are at home - take a cold or contrast shower.
- Stop drinking strong tea and coffee. Caffeine increases the smoker's need for nicotine.
- Try not to overeat or use spices. Eat three times a day to prevent weight gain.
- Throw away everything that resembles smoking at home - ashtrays, lighters, accessories.
- Try not to get involved in situations where you are used to smoking.
- Try not to get discouraged. As soon as the bad mood arrives, the legs run alone to the smokehouse.
- If you go to bed at 10 pm, it will be easier to fight the urge to smoke in the morning.
- Try not to communicate with smokers. First, it is easier to interrupt in this way. Second, some "comrades" will try to lead you astray. Pitchers 'failures are often linked to others' feelings of envy.
- Use menthol lollipops in a box instead of cigarettes.
A Christian's last piece of advice to people who believe in God. It is difficult for a person to struggle with himself, but for God anything is possible. If the desire to stop smoking is sincere - ask Jesus Christ about it in prayer. Just get on your knees and tell Him, "Lord, I want to stop, help me. " Believe that He is powerful to free you from any sin, including smoking.
Anti-smoking pills, an overview of the most effective drugs
There are no drugs that can completely combat the urge to inhale tobacco smoke. The action of the funds is different - they weaken the severity of the withdrawal syndrome and help the body to recover more quickly. Smoking pills can be found at any pharmacy, consider popular medicines and help.
A powerful remedy for people who want to quit smoking. It is an effective natural alkaloid contained in Indian tobacco and has a complex effect on the body. If you follow the recommended course, the following effects will be observed:
- the frequency of headaches decreases;
- decreases irritability;
- removes nervousness.
Lobelin regulates the functioning of the respiratory system, as a result, more oxygen enters the sniper's body and an accelerated withdrawal of nicotine occurs. Drink 1 tablet up to five times a day for a week. Then, the dosage is gradually reduced.
Composition of the plant
The best herbal product, with good taste and that helps to reduce the desire for tobacco smoke. The product contains a complex of extracts:
- Clary Sage
If you want to smoke, it is necessary to dissolve 1 to 2 tablets. The duration of the course can be any, the main thing is that there is no harmful desire.
A powerful medication that will help to get rid of addiction for those who cannot control and control cravings and have a long history of smoking.
According to the official instructions for use, drink one tablet twice a day with plenty of water. The dosage increases gradually, at the beginning of the course they drink half a 500 mcg once a day, from the fourth day one piece a day, and from the eighth day they take 1 piece. 2 times a day.
The disadvantage of varenicline is its many side effects. Men and women who stopped smoking experienced nausea, bronchitis, increased body mass index, headache and, in some cases, suicidal tendencies.
What happens in the body when you stop smoking
Be aware that the first positive changes in the body occur within 20 minutes of quitting - blood pressure is gradually normalizing. This information helps to tune in to other difficulties.
Subsequent changes at specific intervals:
- 8 hours - the level of carbon monoxide in the blood will drop to a minimum;
- 12 hours - the bad breath will disappear;
- day - blood pressure is normalized;
- two days - taste sensations will become brighter;
- third day - physiological dependency disappears;
- week - the sense of smell will be completely restored: you will feel a person smoking from tens of meters away;
- month - health will return to normal, night cough will disappear, erection in men will increase;
- three months - blood flow will increase, tissue oxygenation will increase by 35%;
- 9 months - the immune system will fully recover and resistance to colds will increase.
After one year, the risk of developing lung, larynx and esophageal cancer will be halved. Those who quit smoking 5 years ago are at risk of dying from myocardial infarction, as are nonsmokers.