The history of smoking goes back several millennia. It also exists in our country, where smoking is very popular. A large part of the population suffers from nicotine dependence, although everyone knows that this habit is harmful to the body. Tobacco use continues, but many are trying to break the habit of killing. Only a small percentage are successful. Information about what happens to the body when you quit smoking will become an additional motivation and make it easier for you to reach your goal.
Health effects of smoking
When you constantly inhale tobacco smoke, the following happens to the body:
- increased heart rate;
- increases blood pressure;
- the mucous membrane of the stomach is irritated;
- the brain is experiencing a lack of oxygen;
- immunity decreases;
- shortness of breath, a chronic cough appears;
- The teeth turn yellow.
This is just a short list, but in fact, smoking affects almost every organ and system in the human body. The result is a high risk of lung cancer, heart attack or stroke. And not to mention the most common diseases: tracheitis, bronchitis, hypertension, gastritis and others.It must be understood that the human psyche also suffers from smoking. Cigarette addiction, which, to a greater or lesser extent, develops in every smoker, is a peculiar form of drug addiction.
Damage from tobacco combustion products
To understand what happens to the body when you stop smoking, you need to know what tobacco smoke is. When a cigarette is lit, about 4000 different chemical compounds are exuded. Among them are:
- acetone; carbon monoxide;
- hydrogen cyanide; lead
There is a very toxic substance that belongs to the first class of danger - benzopyrene. And carcinogens have a detrimental effect on the body. They cause tumors to appear. To a small extent, nicotine is included in the structure of tobacco, but it is one of the most dangerous enemies. Thanks to this substance, a harmful addiction to smoking appears.
What will happen to the person?
Realizing that smoking is harmful, people try to get rid of this weakness. However, it is necessary to assume in advance that the positive and negative sides will appear. If you stop smoking, there will be the following positive changes:
- will breathe more easily;
- new powers will appear;
- the food will taste brilliant;
- will sharpen your sense of smell;
- the face will look healthy.
But when you stop smoking, there are negative manifestations:
- lowers blood pressure;
- weakness and apathy dominate;
- emotional instability (everything is boring, impossible to sleep, depression); weight gain
- dizziness, headache.
Of course, not everyone has certain symptoms. The body is so individual that it is impossible to predict its reaction. But in general, everyone goes through roughly the same processes.
If a woman quits smoking, the consequences for her are no different, except perhaps in a more labile psycho-emotional state, as fair sex is naturally more irascible than men. How to quit smoking during pregnancy?
What happens to the body?
When you stop smoking, recovery is seen in almost every organ and tissue. After all, harmful substances begin to be phased out. But what exactly are the consequences and benefits of quitting? The main changes that occur in the body of a woman or man after quitting:
- the blood is oxygenated; vasoconstriction
- is eliminated; the inspiratory volume
- improves the oxygen supply to the brain, improves concentration, thought processes and memory.
These processes have positive consequences for the body:
- the risk of thrombosis is minimized;
- increases immunity;
- After one year, the risk of heart attack or stroke will begin to decrease.
Of course, positive changes don't happen in a few days, some time must pass. But the main thing is to stop smoking, at least to start this process. And you won't have to wait long for positive changes. Although you need to tune in to overcome difficulties, especially if tobacco has been abused for a long time.
When nicotine and other harmful substances contained in tobacco smoke stop entering the body, the results appear literally in an hour. On the other hand, they are positive - the dose of nicotine in the blood decreases by 50%. On the other hand, it is not very pleasant - there is a desire to smoke again. This step must be endured and then, after ten hours, the blood will be further purified. And after thirteen hours the vessels will react and the pressure will normalize.
Now let's find out what happens to the body every day when you stop smoking.
- When the day passes, there will be virtually no carbon monoxide in the blood, as nicotine is completely metabolized in the body. The psycho-emotional state will be moderately anxious.
- On the second day, the person usually has disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, constipation; the taste buds become more sensitive. The mood will become unstable, insomnia will appear.
- After the third day, the brain and heart will have a better blood supply. Dopamine levels will gradually increase as they decrease by 15-20% during smoking
- After four days, the state of the body will stabilize. But intestinal peristalsis reacts negatively to the absence of nicotine. Psycho-emotionally, there is a real "withdrawal", irritability increases. To reduce it, suitable drugs are used.
- At the end of the fifth day, coughing is easier. Recovery begins at the mucous membrane of the mouth, which is reflected in the improved taste of food.
- After the sixth day, the functions of the digestive system are normalized. The nervous system is still excited, the thirst is constantly felt.
- Seven days - on this day the emptiness is strongly felt inside. At the physiological level, intestinal activity normalizes, although stool disorders can sometimes appear again. The appetite increases markedly and heartburn can appear.
When I stop smoking, the consequences for the body in months are as follows.
- First. There is a regeneration of the bronchial mucosa, immunity increases. The skin completely loses the yellow color characteristic of smokers. Appetite is increased, which contributes to weight gain. Coughing and shortness of breath occurs, especially in the morning. In addition, headaches, dizziness, sudden changes in pressure periodically occur. The affection is still strong. This is expressed in a depressed mood. Friendly support is required.
- The second is the fourth. The brain works better and appetite stabilizes.
- Fifth - eighth. The recovery process continues in the respiratory system. The cough almost stops.
- Ninth. This is a turning point when you want to return to a bad habit. It is necessary to avoid provocative situations and communicate more with nature.
- Tenth - twelfth. Health is getting stronger, you can give your body serious physical activity. The emotional background is quite stable. The risk of serious illness is reduced.
Is it safe to quit after 40 years?
There is this idea: if you stop smoking after 40, the consequences for the body will be unpredictable. But what happens to a person when they stop smoking after 40? The absence of tobacco has a strong effect on the psycho-emotional state: apathy occurs, decreases efficiency. If you stop smoking after a prolonged addiction, the temporary negative consequences are more pronounced: cough, shortness of breath, airway obstruction with bronchial mucus, weakness and even fainting - all of which can cause significant disorders.
To reduce unpleasant symptoms, you should see a doctor for medications. Despite all the negative symptoms, the benefits of quitting are far greater.
- When you stop smoking, there are several consequences for the body. They are expressed in both positive aspects (improving brain function, reducing the risk of stroke and heart attack) and negatives (lowering blood pressure, weakness, coughing, shortness of breath, nervousness, stool disorder).
- The main thing is that giving up this bad habit reduces the risk of acquiring or developing serious illnesses in the future.